Uncategorized

When a Child is Different

This is a difficult subject to address. Not just because of its obvious sensitivity, but also because there is no one right way to talk about it .

Speaking from experience, this is by far one of the most challenging issues a parent could face and it does not get easier in time. It is always a delicate subject, whether the difference is noticeable, physical, mental or developmental.

As parents, we want our kids to fit in. We want to shield them from judgement, prejudice and mean comments. Kids can be very cruel, however adults can be equally insensitive. Some differences in appearance could be altered cosmetically but that doesn’t mean they will completely disappear or that the child’s self value or self confidence will change accordingly. So, what do you do?

First accept the fact. Accept that as a parent you have limited ability to protect your child, or change the situation. Second, let it go. If you shrink, cringe or just well up every time this subject comes up, especially in front of your child, they will sense it and it will hurt them.

This one is a hard one to practice. Sometimes another child will innocently ask about it, and you will be put to the test. So deep breath. You must remain calm. The next thing you say is up to you, but should be something along the lines of “Yes, he was born this way”. That pretty much eliminates most of the questions. Once your child is present in a situation where this is talked about openly he or she will be more comfortable with talking about it too. Confidence is key. Even if you don’t feel it, fake it. For your child’s sake.

Author

user@example.com

Comments

June 27, 2019 at 8:06 am

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

June 27, 2019 at 9:04 am

I’d forever want to be update on new blog posts on this site, saved to fav! .

June 28, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.

Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by
the way!

June 28, 2019 at 11:15 pm

It’s an amazing paragraph in favor of all the web visitors; they will take benefit from it I
am sure.

June 29, 2019 at 12:40 am

I’m not sure why but this web site is loading incredibly slow for me.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end?
I’ll check back later and see if the problem
still exists.

June 29, 2019 at 2:59 am

Remarkable! Its actually amazing piece of writing, I have got much
clear idea regarding from this article.

July 1, 2019 at 8:43 am

I go to see everyday some web pages and sites to read content, but this webpage provides feature based content.

July 1, 2019 at 3:52 pm

When some one searches for his essential thing, so he/she wishes to be available that
in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.